10 day Intrepid report

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by floydlpackard, Nov 12, 2019.

1. floydlpackard

floydlpackard Member

Name:
    Floyd
    Boat:
    none
    Just got back Sunday from a 10 day on the Intrepid. With hopes of Wahoo we headed down to the upper ridge.

Sammy was the captain. We found a paddy inside of the 13 loaded with an uncountable number of nice sized dorado. Everybody was hooked up, you could not get any jig under them no matter how slow you let it down. During the mayhem I looked out and saw waves of square nosed porpoise heading toward the boat. It dawned on me that they were long lines on dorado rushing the boat to get in on the action. With the low limit number it took only a short time until the captain had to call a halt and we moved to the 13.

We received news that the wahoo were plentiful on the sonar but the catching was much less then we had hoped for. The rest of the ridge was dead. The lower banks were dead. Alijos was spotty and sharky. We trolled up a few wahoo and once in a while got a second on bombs or jigs. Maybe one or two were caught on bait out of several hookups. I got one on a jimmy bomb black and pink. A few were landed on green JRI bombs and I had a brief hookup on a seastrike 33 silver and blue. We maybe got 23 wahoo in three days fishing. The school YFT were thick. Some issues with skippies but you just needed to weed through them. Some caught very nice 25-40lb YFT all on bait. Hooks used were small 1 and 2. bait was good but on the small side. I personally only kept 4 YFT on the ridge as I was hoping for larger.

Nice sheep head for those fishing the bottom. No grouper for us. I fished a new slow pitch setup and did well on medium sized YT. I used the new Innovate rod from Temple Reef. It unusual because it is 8 ft long with backbone but a nice soft tip for pitching the jigs. In the past I have had no problem hooking fish on the slow pitch but with the other very limber rods I was unable to keep from being rubbed off on the boat. The slow pitch did better than bait for YT.

At dinner on the 3rd day of fishing Sammy let us know the reports from all of the other boats in the fleet (Yes they do talk even with the Intrepid). It did not look good. The pressure from so many trying to get some wahoo on the 13 was too much. Our options were limited so he made the bold move to bomb up to US waters and fish for larger grade tuna. It would be a two day move with a stop on San Pablo for one nice YT and loads of log barries.

We arrived below San Clemente Island at 10pm. Larry was my roomie and he helped set me up with a pole and jig to fish flatfall BFT. On the travel day up we marked the line in 100 ft increments with rubber bands out to 300ft. I fished a 300gm Nomad Gypsy red and glow striped and he fished a 325gm Nomad Buffalo in silver and glow. Main line was 100lb spectra to a 130lb flouro leader then the jigs were setup with a 300lb crimped leader about 4ft long. Larry first hooked up to a nice 90lb fish and I followed shortly there after with its brother. He then went on to hook a 188lb that night. I think the key was being ready and willing to put the time at the rail, listening to the captain on the depth, having the line marked so you knew you were fishing in the zone, and fishing gear up to the task. Other lost fish to hook failures or tangles. The fish seemed to bite in small windows and not all schools would bite.

Sammy and the crew tried to make fliers at San Clemente in the middle of the night but the sea lions were so bad they did not get a single one. The Sea Adventure was kind enough to pass us a few that they had. They were used on the kite. The next night the BFT bit at 9pm. Larry got a nice one that taped out around 280 and as his was being photographed I was picked up. It taped at around 263. During the day we drifted for mixed schools of YFT up to 60lbs and BFT up to 80lbs. Very nice quality on the fish. We had so much YFT we had to drive away when they would push the BFT away. It was a constant pick.

The last day the kite was picked up by a monster fish. At the same time I was bit on my 40lb rig as was Jim on his 40lb rig. I was way under gunned on that fish. I could tell by the big heavy tailbeats I was in trouble. Jim lost his first to a broken line. I was almost spooled out of the gate but gained it back and lost it again three times as I was pulled around the boat over and over again. During this time the Kite rod fish was being stubborn. At the end my fish headed for the horizon an I could not stop him. I was spooled to the knot and the 40lb leader broke. The kite fish was finally gaffed and taped out at 313. At the dock it was 333.

Very unusual trip. Sammy made great calls. I like fishing with him. I would do it again. I will try to add pictures in a bit I am off to work.

Floyd

2. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    sounds like you guys made the most out of a tough trip.

thanks for the report

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Nice report, Floyd.

I would say that most passengers did not think it was a tough trip, but went away very satisfied. It was an excellent trip thanks to the high-risk move Captain Sam made. That guy is just fishy.

Another really unusual thing about the trip was that we got very few yellowtail. They just weren't available offshore. I never thought that would happen on a long trip like that.

Floyd and Larry marked their deep jigging rigs with rubber bands tied to the line. That didn't work for me because my rod had a roller stripper that hung up the rubber bands. We used a Sharpie instead, but found that the mark needs to be about a foot long to be prominent enough to be readily seen.

That 300+ pound bluefin kite fish made the crew especially proud because it was tail wrapped. They worked extra hard to get that thing in and were just overjoyed when they succeeded.

Anything with "Nomad" written on it worked well.

Great food on this trip, too!

$norkle likes this.
  4. floydlpackard

floydlpackard Member

Name:
    Floyd
    Boat:
    none
    upload_2019-11-12_10-9-55.jpeg

upload_2019-11-12_10-26-24.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-12_10-27-1.jpeg
    That is a 20lb YFT in the mouth of a 300lber.
    Other pictures of the trip are on the Intrepid site. upload_2019-11-12_10-10-23.jpeg upload_2019-11-12_10-25-48.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Thanks for the report, Floyd!

6. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Great job and great report Floyd!!! Fish of a lifetime right there...

7. Shon

Shon Fish til I can't fish no more

Name:
    Shon
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    I really have to give this operation a try! Seems like I might be ruined by the finer things the boat has to offer but I’m ok with that. Maybe 2020 is the year.
    Thanks for the report! Don’t you just love 10 days? Plenty of time and lots of options!

Steve K likes this.
  8. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    NICE report. We were at the Ridge in similar conditions. Thanks very much Floyd!

9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Thank you for the report.....imo that was not a tough trip ..it was a steller fishing trip with Sam making decisions to put anglers in the position to catch the fish of a lifetime if one was prepared and had the ability to get bit and get it on the deck..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Anglewood, $norkle and Shon like this.
  10. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    STELLAR ??? Your setting the bar pretty low.

egarratt likes this.
  11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Oh I think the chance of catching a 300# BFT and wide open good quality dorado bite and a excellent YFT bite a shot at some wahoo and YT is stellar in my book....maybe my bar is different than yours....and fishing is different than catching IMO.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  12. lazyfisherman

lazyfisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bobby
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats
    People take for granted that it's a blessing to be able to get on the water for 10 days at a time.

13. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Thanks for the report Floyd, I agree with Fishy that you had a stellar trip. Longer trips offers more options and those options saved your trip. I bet you can't wait to get back on the Intrepid!

14. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Nice part about the 10 day trip, having options. Expectations can result in a “tough trip” if those expectations aren’t met. I think most of us will agree that a limit of Yellowfin is achievable and also that we really want to catch some Wahoo this time of year. A couple of Dorado to top it off and you’re good.

Funny, it’s timing. Trips before and after the one I was on didn’t have nearly the spectacular Wahoo fishing we had. Timing.

freegaff2 and Shon like this.
  15. Shon

Name:
    Shon
    Boat:

Steve K likes this.
  16. Shon

Name:
    Shon
    Boat:
    Conditions and timing are key with a little luck involved. We killed it in two days fishing wahoo and were ready for tuna. I love 10 day trips! You never know what your gonna get!

Brad I, Soda Pop and dh515 like this.
  17. graywolf

graywolf Newbie

Name:
    tufan
    Boat:
    ask Ike,took it away
    Awesome report,what reel and rod

18. floydlpackard

floydlpackard Member

Name:
    Floyd
    Boat:
    none
    Larry and I were using the new Phenix Axis x2h 8ft rail rods. They are new and very nice. He used an Avet 50 3sp and I used an avet 30wide 3sp. Funny thing is most of the bites came on the retrieve not the drop. We would drop the jig past the depth the captain called and and then reeled in at the speed you would do a surface iron. Perhaps the higher speed of the three speed helped get it at the right speed of retrieve.

Cubeye likes this.
  19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Just to confirm, X2H? Phenix has that action as 30-80.
    Seems light for lifting those big fish.

20. floydlpackard

floydlpackard Member

Name:
    Floyd
    Boat:
    none
    Yes X2H.
    From an email from Larry.

Go Phenix - A+ Score on new 8' Rail Rods
    I finally got to test the new Phenix 8ft super light Axis X2H proto-type cow rail rods and loved the results. I nailed 4 huge bluefin tuna on the above reported Intrepid 10-Day trip, including one at 271lbs and one at 177lbs. These 2X rated rods behave like 3X rods and will become my 100lb cow rigs. To fully load them to test their limits I used my Avet 50 with 130lb line and 150lb leader and a 35lb drag at strike. The rods handled the load, lifted the beasts through the water column and proved their worthiness. At the end game I was past strike and likely pulling close to 40 pounds of drag. Before we started fishing the Intrepid crew and I tested them by lifting a full 5 gallon bucket filled with salt water up off the lower deck from the rail on the upper deck. Narly, but no problem!

I understand Savon Tackle has a very limited supply, so get them while you can. I hope Phenix goes into regular production and I also predict great success for them and any body who uses them.

Let me repeat why I think they will be better tools for cow fishing:

1.The very soft tip is very forgiving especially when using all non stretch braid and short fluoro top shots.
    2.The soft tip will result in fewer hook pulls especially in windy, rolling sea conditions.
    3.You will experience fewer knot and connection failures, again, in inclement weather conditions.
    4.You will lose fewer fish from your line rubbing against the chine or getting wrapped around the props or rudders with the extra 12 inches of length.

In conclusion, my Phenix Axis 800 X2H rail rods are now my only go to 100# cow outfits, and my Phenix Axis 800 X3H's are my go to 130# and 150# rail rods for sardines, chunks and big baits.

As I mentioned earlier the Red Rooster is now using the Phenix Axis 800 X3H, rated 60 - 130lbs and Axis 800 X4H rated 80 - 200#s almost exclusively for their kite gear with 50W and 80 class reels and 200# braid. Captain Cates and the RR3 crew believe it has increased their land to hook ratio. Sounds like a nice Christmas present to me.

Russ Scholl likes this.