Rpt.-Sun. 11-10-19 Tuna! Tuna!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tunaslam, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    The Tuna were amazingly still biting and last week Morris on his 26’ Skipjack, the “Jugular” out of Huntington Harbor ran 73 miles and caught 5 Yellowfin Tuna solo to 50 pounds! I was unavailable, but this time I could join him. The Tuna had moved further south and the new starting destination was 83 miles from the Long Beach break wall.

Leaving at 3:30 am I was invited to spend the night, allowing me an extra 1.5 hours of sleep, had I elected to stay home and wake up at 2am. We were up at 3am and left his slip at 3:45 am.

As we exited the harbor, the seas very a little lumpy, with a breeze of 8 to 10 knots, not what we were hoping for. We stopped at Nachos for a healthy scoop of mixed small and medium sized sardines. Few died during the entire day, and the little guys made for great chum. There were plenty hook size baits.

The wind combined with a 1-foot wind chop prevented us from exceeding 15 knots until we got past the East end of Catalina and then the seas smoothed out and we could travel at normal cruising speed of 20 knots. The weather all day remained exceptional, rising to maybe 10-12 knots in late afternoon, with some larger swells after we passed San Clemente Island.

Reaching our numbers at 11am, now down 83 miles, we observed the Shogun and several private yachts flying kites. This probably meant they were targeting Bluefin only? The water temps were only 64.8, down a couple degrees from the previous day, bad news! We did not see any hookups, so we continued south, past several other sport boats, all moving. Water temps were rising slowly, now up to 65.3 eventually reaching a high of 65.6. Surprising the Yellowfin were still here, as 68 degrees seems to have been their previous floor.

We saw a cluster of boats off in the distance some four miles, southwest of us and put the trollers in while we headed that way. It was now high noon. Pulled up next to the Sport boat Freedom, our buddies from San Pedro. The whole boat was bent, and our meter began to light up with those beautiful red inverted V’s. Chummed some of the few dead chunked sardines and a half dozen live. Both our baits hit the water and were instantly bit. Game on!

We were both using 25-pound test with Flouro leaders and #2 circle hooks. We could hear each other’s line screaming off the reels, and these were definitely not small Tuna. Our first challenge of the day was gaffing our fish. Morris had lots of practice gaffing his solo last week, I was a little rusty. However, Morris got his Yellowfin to color first and I was able to gaff his fish and hand it to him, while I continued my battle.

A few minutes later I was ready for the gaff and Morris did a great head shot. The two Tuna were cookie cutter in size around 22-25 pounds. Skunk off and blood on the deck, is what we live for!

Morris worked on some more chum while I grabbed my 30-pound outfit. After three baits and no bites I went back to my 25 pound, although I had to re-ty the hook, it had a little fray. First cast and bit immediately, then Morris was bit again and another double going. I got my fish to color quickly, while Morris fought his fish on the other side of the boat, so I stuck my own fish and shortly thereafter stuck Morris’s fish.

We had drifted about a ¼ mile from the Freedom and the meter was dry. So we pulled to within 250 yards off their bow and saw boils everywhere, and one happy gang of anglers all bent. Threw some chum and had fish boil 360 around us. I got bit and oh boy this was definitely a bigger model. Emptied about half my spool on his initial run. I gained some line back and the brute decided to take another healthy run. It went back and forth before I finally started gaining some good line. Morris got short bit a couple of times during my fight, but no hookup, so when I reached deep color it stood by with the gaff realizing this was a nice size fish. Sure, enough he stuck the gaff into a 35+ pounder.

Morris-Tuna-11-10-19 2019-11-10 010 (947x1024) (002).jpg

The bite had slowed down a little as time passed, and it was now 2:30pm. Several times we worked our way back to the area of fish sticking with the Freedom. We started chumming a little heavier and saw a boil here and there. Then I was bit again and oh no, another big guy! This Tuna took ¾ of my spool before stopping and sounding. I gained back about 75 yards, then it took me even further into the spool. I had brought a knife to a gun fight.

I fought the big fish for about 20 minutes, with numerous other long and short runs. No sooner had I gained line; it took it back. Finally had it at deep color, it hung there for what seemed to be forever, give and take until my arms began to cramp and I knew I was taxing my heart a bit too much. So, I yielded to my pride and handed the Tuna off to Morris to finish off.

IMG_4877.JPG

He fought it for five minutes and I took it back, after a few minutes, then couldn’t go anymore, as the fish was circling, but would not budge, back to Morris. A few minutes later it swam up and circled within gaff range and I stuck him, took both of us to lift him aboard. Morris said over 60 pounds, maybe 70? I said let’s call it 55. On 25-pound line, that is quite the challenge.

Morris-Tuna-11-10-19 2019-11-10 001 (1024x768).jpg

Morris-Tuna-11-10-19 2019-11-10 003 (778x1024).jpg

Morris-Tuna-11-10-19 2019-11-10 005 (579x1024).jpg

I caught an 80 pounder several years ago on 20, a one in a million shot? The Tuna stuck with us and boiled around us repeatedly. In the next hour we both hooked two more each in the 20-25-pound range and one about 18. It was 4pm and the meter was empty. Neither of us got a bite in the last five to ten casts. We began cleaning fish and I quickly tired. We washed everything down and got as much fish on ice as possible. Both the fish hold and kill bag were full.

Morris started for home and it registered 93 miles to Long Beach Harbor. The wind had backed down to about 6 to 8 knots and the swells were down from 4-5 to 2-3. It was uphill so we began the long trek home slowly. After ten miles we shut down and cleaned another four Tuna. Six out of the ten now slabbed. Ten miles later and in the darkness, we cleaned all but the 35 and 55 pounder, with no more room anywhere to store them on ice. So, we constantly wet them down until we arrived in Long Beach, figuring they would be better condition whole, rather than fileted and sitting out of the ice.

Morris-Tuna-11-10-19 2019-11-10 006 (1024x768).jpg

Morris-Tuna-11-10-19 2019-11-10 007 (1024x768).jpg

It was now 10pm, with another 30 minutes at five knots to his slip. Fortunately, after we passed San Clemente Island, the seas went flat, and so did the wind, so it was 20 knots the rest of the way.

Cleaned the other two fish, I had brought a 120-quart cooler and we nearly filled it up along with my smaller cooler, where I kept my food and drinks. Morris wanted me to take more, but we could hardly lift the cooler now and I told him to give it to the neighbors. I arrived home in Diamond Bar at 12:45am, had a shot of whisky to unwind and hit the sack at 1am, up at 5am for work.

The eyes on my fellow workers was a highlight when I arrived at work. Help yourselves I said, as I kept only the fish in the small cooler, yet it was more than plenty. With a few friends coming over tonight to share in the bonanza.

Thanks so much for another fun day on the big pond Morris! Absolutely extraordinary trip, so late in the year. The boat ran well, certainly a good feeling for such an adventure.

I can’t wait until we do it again.

Hook up! Cory

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well done, Cory! I'm hoping to give it one more try before the inevitable happens.

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good luck!

pacificscout likes this.
  4. sdrepairman

sdrepairman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    Nice
    Thanks for the report

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Great write I as always.
    Sounds Epic

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Hey man-your going to kill yourself over fish-not smart I enjoy your posts but dude...

Congrats but your making me nervous as a long time fan-

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    My Doctor has not put me on any restrictions and I am currently in Cardiac therapy to strengthen my stamina. Endurance could be an issue, that's why I felt it best to be safe than sorry. We should all know our limitations. I reached mine this time. That fish would of kicked a lot people's butts!

8. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Awesome Cory you're a stud. Great adventure, and thanks for sharing.

Hippie and Tunaslam like this.
  9. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Someday we have to share a rail together, two Cory's on a boat could prove fun?

Hardcor likes this.
  10. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Very kind of you to share in the bounty.

I have come to expect nothing less from you, Sir.

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    Thanks for the write up. Always live vicariously through your adventures. No worries on the handoff ....

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. chiefen

chiefen Member

Name:
    jake
    Boat:
    parker 2320sl
    Awesome job!

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
  14. AndyJ

AndyJ Undocumented "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Awesome catch and well earned.

Tunaslam likes this.
  15. woodfish330

woodfish330 Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Fishead
    To Mr. CORY......taught me how to fish tuna and yellowtail in the seventies.....took me under his wing....for so many trips. I learned so much from you.....THANKS! I see your still kicking butt....teaching others the ropes......The boats....The skippers....The techniques I would use for life! Thank you brother! Your Baker Street Neighbor.....

Great report.....Excellent Catch!

Hardcor, Tunaslam and Fishdood like this.
  16. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Outstanding job Cory!!

Hardcor and Tunaslam like this.
  17. Steveo77

Steveo77 Steveo77

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Grumpy
    You can’t be stopped Cory! Great report

Hardcor and Tunaslam like this.
  18. FISHRDI

FISHRDI 2NA SLAYER

Name:
    Mitch
    Boat:
    17 ft Bayrunner - FISHRDI
    WTG you definitely had a great trip. I was on the Freedom, it was epic! You guys were cool and stayed a good distance while a couple other private boaters came right up on our stren, only not to get bit at all and leave us. I'm more soar then I have ever been after a fishing trip. The size of the fish in that school was impressive. One of the best days fishing I've had in the Pacific..

grahams98 and Tunaslam like this.
  19. seadancer

seadancer Member

Name:
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat:
    none
    Great trip & Report Cory. Glad you guys did so well

Tunaslam likes this.
  20. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name: