South Side Ledge, Molokai, and Penguin Trips

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by blufin10, Nov 11, 2019.

1. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    I managed to make it out on 3 trolling trips here on Oahu over the last week.

Last Sunday we trolling the ledge down to Ko'olina from Pearl Harbor to fuel the boat up. We picked up a nice Ono a couple of miles outside of the harbor and missed a short strike on the way back.

On Friday we left Pearl Harbor at 0600hrs, and ran 3 hrs at 15 knots to Molokai. We trolled 15nm down to Kalupapa and 10nm back before pulling lines at 3pm and running back to the dock by 6:30pm. We went through 24 ballyhoo with about 20 bites, lost 2 fish to gear failure (wire break, crimp failure), lost a Mahi boatside, and some shortbites. Maybe 4 were Wahoo, 7 were small stuff (Mahi, Bonito, Kahala, Rainbow Runners). Still we managed to land 4 nice Wahoo, 1 Mahi, 1 Kawakawa, and 3 Rainbow Runners. We sold 3 Wahoo to a local restaurant, and the rest went to the anglers.

Saturday we picked the anglers up at Ke'ehi around 0630hrs. We ran marlin lures and dink-rigged ballyhoo out to Penguin. Trolled the ledge south with wire, pin-rigged ballyhoo islanders, 7 line/2 planers spread (same as previous day). We caught a nice 26lb cow that rooster-tailed into the spread from 100yards abeam, and a 12lb bull on the planer. Switched to a marlin/mahi spread at 2pm and plied the deep with only 1 short bite miss before returning to the fuel dock at 530pm. The fish were cut for the anglers.

Not a bad way to spend some quality time on the glassy Pacific Ocean.

John

20191103_153622.jpg 20191109_084803.jpg 20191108_121713.jpg IMG_1155.jpg IMG_1154.jpg 20191109_093155.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    John and crews, good work getting those bites. All that prep setting up the rigs payed off putting fish in the boat

blufin10 likes this.
  3. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    John,
    It looks like you had a bunch of fun over those 3 trips. So what's up with the Hi'ilawe? Haven't see any reports from her back deck since you showed her on the trailer a long time ago?

Cheers
    Pat

Puravida16 likes this.
  4. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Pat,
    She is still 'up on the hard' since August 2018 getting retrofitted. I had both leaky fuel tanks replaced, went from 90 to 110gal capacity, thru hulls glassed over or replaced, upgraded to 1kw transducer, replaced/reconfigured the entire deck to a flush deck forward, with new hatches, redid engine compartment, new battery trays, new bilge paint, replaced rub rail, repaired windscreen, resurfaced gelcoat, repaired bottom blisters, new barrier coat, hard, and ablative bottom paint, reproped, repacked stuffing, new interior/exterior/deck paint throughout, new below waterline pluming/exhaust, engine service, new fuel lines, new fuel senders/gauges, new manual engine kill switch, glassed in forward anchor hause, maybe a new custom fish door, new livewell and washdown pump/pluming, and maybe a new bimini. Still deciding on whether to build an issenglass enclosure with standard bimini, or welded aluminum bimini, or hard top, or enclosed half cab. I am leaning towards leaving simple bimini for now and have a fiberglass half cab added at the next haul out.

I am hoping the work will be finished up sometime early 2020. In the meantime it's been nice to have friends with fishing boats.

John

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. shbite

shbite kailua lures

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    19 glass pro
    Howzit John,
    Are you getting your ballyhoo locally or are you bringing them in from the mainland. Just wondering

6. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Both. We have friends and family bring back 50lbs of baitmasters ballyhoo as checked baggage when they travel here from the mainland (~4-5Xs/year). I have also bought locally caught ballyhoo, and last week my friend caught 350 ballyhoo, wet, then dry brined, then vacume-packed and froze them. They had great color, but like all of the locally caught ballyhoo I have used they were soft and only lasted 1-2hrs on the troll before blowing out. Any suggestions on how to toughen up locally caught ballyhoo would be appreciated as we are planning on another late night bait making trip in the near future.
    Photos are of our locally caught/processed ballyhoo. The second to last photo shows condition after 1hr of trolling. The small hook pulled through the belly, weight moved off of chin, skin wore, muscles washed out/lumpy. The last photo shows freshly thawed, dink-rigged local fish. The baitmasters product can be trolled for 4-6hrs before starting to show muscle tissue degradation and will actually hold together for 10-12hrs of trolling time. Not sure if they are using formeldahyde, special hrine, and flash freeze or what, but mainland frozen ballyhoo has been the way to go in my experience. Fresh caught and brined (not frozen) ballyhoo looks beaitiful and trolls well for 3-4 hours in my experience.

John

20191106_193539.jpg 20191106_193609.jpg 20191109_091033.jpg 20191109_084911.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. shbite

shbite kailua lures

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    19 glass pro
    John,. The problem with what you are probably doing is 2 fold looking at the bait in the picture your friend probably netted the the ballyhoo. Which is ILLEGAL because the the mesh they are using is under 2 inches which is the minimum size to be legal in Hawaii.
    The second problem is that when you net the ballyhoo is that the scales fall off. When the scales fall they get soft and have a tendency of falling apart or blowing out. That's why we hook our ballyhoo and take extra care of them. Plus my nieces love to catch those little critters. Aloha

triton91 likes this.