ULS diesel in Baja norte?

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Chewie1, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Chewie1

Chewie1 Newbie

Name:
    John Mattos
    Boat:
    uluax
    Headed down for our first Baja road trip right after Christmas. Thinking about doing a loop from Tecate through Erendira, SQ then over to BOLA, Gonzaga and up and back out through Mexicali. Can any one tell me if I'll have any issues finding Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel ?
    Thank You
    Chewie1

2. Chewie1

Chewie1 Newbie

Name:
    John Mattos
    Boat:
    uluax
    Ok looks like all diesel in norte is ULSD.
    Next question is can I cross the border with a couple of gerry cans of extra fuel?

3. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

I don’t think you’ll have a problem taking a few fuel jugs, but if you can, an auxiliary fuel tank in your truck bed might be a safer option.

stephen campbell likes this.
  4. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    Mexican authorities do not like you taking down building materials, wood, meat, fuel cans, and more.

The way the Mexican law works is it depends on who looks at your truck. Sometimes a $20 bill will save you $100 worth of meat. Ask me how I know.

5. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Carry the majority of your cash in your sock. If you find yourself having to buy your way out, they’ll want everything in your wallet.

plj46 and stephen campbell like this.
  6. thing

thing Newbie

Take the cans empty,fill them up once across border.

aguachico and dweston like this.
  7. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Go to Amazon but yourself a ankle wallet, (will not work with your skinny jeans).

smokinwater likes this.
  8. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Just fill them down there? Probably will be about the same or less. Just remember if you are going past Rosario, top off everything you have.

9. brich4aday

brich4aday Member

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    28,baja,
    the fuel in the north is just fine . I run down to BOLA about ever other month and have burned over 700 gal. in my chevy 2013 just bring some DEF with you if you use it its not found in the smaller towns

10. Chewie1

Chewie1 Newbie

Name:
    John Mattos
    Boat:
    uluax
    Gracias por todos amigos !!

11. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    I have a LTZ one ton chevy diesel 2018 and I've never had any issues, as far as extra fuel Tecate entry is way more laid back I always bring gas down for my quads

12. Fish Sniper

Fish Sniper Member

Name:
    Marco Rojas
    Boat:
    PAJARO
    A bit of history, in 1984 I counted 4 gas stations from BOLA to Ensenada, last year I counted 33, and every single one had gasoline and diesel and yes all diesel is low sulfur since is imported from the good old USA. To be safe and trouble free leave your cans home you can find fuel all along baja.

My 2c

13. bajapro

bajapro Newbie

Name:
    jim crosby
    Boat:
    216 cabo cuddycon
    i disagree with marcos. too many diesels going back up have had problems. one had to be towed from cativia to the border. $800. i see the difference running a ram 1500 diesel. uses more def. alot more. i crossed at the border of tecate last week. had about 20 gallons of u s diesel in cans in the back. guy wanted to charge me $25 import tax. when i refused he kicked me out but at least he took me to the head of the line going back in. went to see a friend in san diego after that, gave him the diesel and crossed at tj. you just never know what will happen. good luck

14. old school 8541

old school 8541 Member

Name:
    Emmet
    Boat:
    Big Buckn Boat
    MEXICO ... One of the best worst places in the world. I have been to 20+ countries and Mexico stands tall with the worst of them. I still go there, I guess the thrill of the unknown is appealing. The food is good (at least in northern Baja) the people are whatever, opportunist (like most everywhere else just on a larger scale) but the F*cking place is corrupt as it gets. For a place that relies on tourism as much as they do, they sure shoot themselves in the foot as much as they can. Again, I enjoy myself in Mexico. I always have. I was there Wednesday night for dinner with the kids. Doesn’t change the facts. Charging import taxes on fuel, shaking tourists down, bait and switch scams at the docks, TIP rules changing at will, business deciding how much exchange to extend based on their own greed and shooting sh*t up like it’s the Wild West just doesn’t help their industry. Mexico is my favorite example of how gun control doesn’t work. Guns illegal in Mexico yet it’s gun violence rivals any war torn nations. Mexico one of the worst best places in the world.

15. Fish Sniper

Fish Sniper Member

Name:
    Marco Rojas
    Boat:
    PAJARO
    I don't know why are you still going there since you hate it so much, stay home and enjoy your Bud, leave Mexico to those of us who really enjoy it.

dsivak and alex88 like this.
  16. old school 8541

old school 8541 Member

Name:
    Emmet
    Boat:
    Big Buckn Boat
    I thought I wrote that post in English. I said “I enjoy it”. Never used the word hate or dislike. I do enjoy Mexico. Doesn’t change anything the place is super F*cked up. If YOU like it so much leave the comforts and security of San Dimas and move to Mexico. Why do people defend the truth. And Yea diesel has been a hassle there too.

17. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    I always run a bottle of this through my truck while on BAJA diesel. Helps with lubricity, which is especially good if the diesel is a little watery. Brings up cetane which makes fuel burn hotter. 1/2 bottle on the way down, 1/2 on way up. Diesel fuel components are $$$ to replace.

upload_2019-11-10_7-7-7.jpeg

18. dsivak

dsivak Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    EDGEWATER 228CC
    You will have no problems finding ULSD. Do not take any fuel with you, it's not allowed. Take your Jerry can's empty and fill them in Mexico.

Leslie. Christensen likes this.
  19. Fish Sniper

Fish Sniper Member

Name:
    Marco Rojas
    Boat:
    PAJARO
    Here you go you fucking hater, some of us gave blood for this country, I'm proud to be an American by choice unlike those like you resting in your hate and bigotry that will never will leave your entrails and will pass it on to your offspring, you must be very proud of your vile past and future.

Semper Fi asshole

20. Chewie1

Chewie1 Newbie

Name:
    John Mattos
    Boat:
    uluax
    WOW
    didn't expect the wide variety of replies, but thanks yakdout
    I'll pick up some diesel kleen